Where can I find the right translator?
If you are not from the translators and interpreters world, you may one day need a translation service provider and ask yourself: where can I find someone?
First, if you need an English or Italian into French translator, you are in the right place!
But what if you search for other language pairs? Other types of services?
Here is how you can find the right translator to meet your needs.
Websites you can trust to search for a translator
Most countries have professional translators’ associations. Here are the main ones, listed by country and specialty:
- France: SFT (Société française des traducteurs)
- United Kingdom: ITI (Institute of Translation and Interpreting)
- USA: ATA (American Translators Association)
- Italy: AITI (Associazione Italiana Traduttori e Interpreti)
- Spain: ASETRAD (Asociación Española de Traductores, Correctores e Intérpretes)
- Germany: BDÜ (Bundesverband der Dolmetscher und Übersetzer e.V.)
Do you need a translator in another language than those listed above? You can check this page, which regroups links to other countries’ associations.
Pro tip: According to the country, there can be more than one association. Indeed, sometimes associations regroup a specific part of the profession. Do your search on the association’s website that most matches your needs.
Advice to search for the right translator
You are now on the homepage of one of the websites listed above. How do you find the right translator? Here is my advice to search for the right person:
1. narrow your search according to the type of service you need (translation, interpretation, etc.)
2. narrow down to the language pair you need, for instance, English into French: in this case, your material is in English (the source language) and you need it translated into French (the target language)
Pro tip: the target language should also be the provider’s native language
3. narrow down to the area of specialisation you need, such as marketing, or a sub-specialisation, such as fashion
Pro tip: if you search for a very specific type of specialisation, do not hesitate to enter keywords in the search box
4. now you have a few translators’ names: to pick the right one, read their descriptions, check their experiences and take some time to look at their websites and/or social profiles (in particular LinkedIn). Then, do not hesitate to contact them and talk about your needs.
There you go!
And if your need is an English or Italian into French translator, contact me as well! 🌱